About Me

My photo
Be The Good: Believe there is good in the world.

Monday, September 5, 2011

Meatless Monday: Bean and Rice Burritos

I know this recipe sounds really boring, but it was surprisingly yummy! It was also the first time I made beans from scratch. (More on that in a later post.)

Bean and Rice Burritos
(source: e-mealz, vegetarian menu)

Ingredients
  • 2 c brown rice, cooked
  • 1 med green pepper, diced
  • 1/2 c diced onion
  • 1 T minced garlic)
  • 1 T chili powder
  • 1 t cumin
  • 1/8⅛ t crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1 can black beans, drained
  • 8 flour tortillas, warmed
  • 1 c salsa
  • 4 oz shredded mozzarella cheese

Directions
  1. Cook rice as directed.
  2. In a large skillet heat 1 T oil & sauté green pepper, onion & garlic.
  3. Stir in chili powder, cumin & pepper flakes.
  4. Add beans and rice; cook and stir for 4-6 min.
  5. Spoon about ½ c bean mixture onto tortillas; top with 2 T salsa. Fold 1 side and ends over filling and roll up.
  6. Serve w/ cheese and sour cream if desired.

Notes: Mixing the spices with the vegetables is particularly delicious. I recommend this start for any beans and rice recipe. Also, I used pinto beans instead of black beans, just for added variety. (All of which ought to include green pepper or some other fresh vegetable for superior taste and nutrition.)

Serves 6, suggested side dish: green salad with fresh fruit salsa


No comments:

Post a Comment